Wednesday, October 17, 2012

There's no place like home...

whatever that means.  If you've ever spent considerable time in a place far away from what you called home, you might know the feeling.  Things look familiar, sometimes a bit different, but recognizable in most cases. It takes a while to get over wanting to be able to access things like 100 yen shops, fruit and vegetable shops, a train like the ones you've gotten used to.

Maybe one of the worst things is paying for things in dollars.  In Japan it's not uncommon to carry large amounts of yen with you, but, despite it's strength against the dollar, it some how feels different to be letting all those dollars slip through your fingers.

I've pretty much gotten back into the routine of sleeping when it's night time, but am still quite tired and feel pretty low in the afternoons and seem prone to headaches.  There are lots of things to do and people seem to be oblivious to the fact that making decisions is hard work for some of us. I'm trying to do things one sensible step at a time.  Still people ask if I'm looking for a job, and if I'm getting ready to head back to Japan soon. To be honest, the only appealing activity to me most days is curling up with a book.

On a different subject; this blog says in it's subtitle that it's documenting my fourth trip to Japan.  When I set it up I thought it might run a year or two, not nearly four.  Thanks to those of you who have stuck it out with me. My question now is if it should stop or change, and what it should change into if I choose the latter?  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

At least you can find those books in English! and... NO, don't stop! Your Japan journey will always be a part of who you are. Just like the trains and money thing, you will be looking at things in a different way.