Thursday, September 17, 2009

Quilting Class

Because of my varying schedule my quilting teacher allows me to come to any two of the five classes she offers each month. I am working on a very individual project, a Japanese Memory Quilt, but I join in conversation (where I can with my limited Japanese), lunch, coffee breaks with whichever class I am attending. Sometimes they are working on a project that I just can't resist and I join in, only to be reminded that my quilt must be finished by spring because my teacher wants to have a local exhibition! I gave my classmates from yesterday my blog address. I wonder if anyone will comment?

2 comments:

Jaime Marie Pinckard said...

How fun! What does a Japanese Memory Quilt look like? What kinds of colors are you using? I'd love to see it when you get done.

How are you doing otherwise? Work going smoothly?

Georgia said...

I suppose that a Japanese Memory Quilt should look like what you remember about Japan. My sensei sat me down the first day and said, OK, design what you want to do!

The colors are dark beige and black and some of the squares are copies of kamon done in needle turn applique and some are sashiko stitching. I'm trying to do each one to represent some part of my time(s) here, a person or event.

All of a sudden, my datebook looks very full, and I think that I may need to change my day off. Flexibility and willingness to help will get me a long way in the next 6 months, I think.