Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas lunch at Quilting Class

We had a carry in lunch with two classes combined at Quilting today. 5 Japanese ladies and me from 11 to 4. Think Japanese Immersion. I felt a bit waterlogged by the end of the afternoon. I did learn how to turn a sharper corner on my applique pieces today. We discussed Obama bowing to the Emperor and his wife. We talked about Emiko-san's son the "Food Fighter." And, they talked about a lot of things while I did some applique.

The lunch was wonderful, as usual and we all were sighing "Ippai" at the end.

Pictures of the quilt-in-progress are on Picasa in an album titled Japanese Memory Quilt. Just double-click on one of the slide shows to the left and the click on "My Photos."

2 comments:

Jaime Marie Pinckard said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun! How wonderful that you are able to meet with these ladies.

I'm curious, what was the general opinion about Obama?

Also, I'm a little confused..."Food Fighter"? Is he a picky-eater or something?

I'm sure it was an interesting discussion. Your Japanese must be top-notch for you to keep up with such a detailed conversation! I wish I could study with you and your sensei.

How are you doing?

Georgia said...

I don't actually keep up with everything or even most things. I'm just following the jist of the conversation and reading facial expression and tone of voice. Gathering what they are likely to be saying. Occasionally we lapse into English, especially if they want my view.

I think they like Obama because he's not G. Bush.

"Food Fighters" are those guys that compete in eating contests - who can eat the most hot dogs, or ramen, or whatever, the fastest. Emiko's son eats huge amounts of food every day and she is rather bewildered by it. He's just growing, I think.

I'm doing OK except that I've been too busy to get ready for Christmas. Today was the last day for the office to be open till 1/4/10, though, so I might get something done yet!