Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Snow People


It snowed a little last night, as predicted. An inch or two of slushy stuff greeted me as I took the trash out before 8am. I needed to take a short term worker to the train and then to the express train to the airport and then was on my way back to the office. Walking by a newish house, lovely two story in yellow brick with a wall and lovely gate I saw through the gate that someone was building snow people in the yard. So I got my camera out and called in Japanese, "Excuse me, may I take a picture?" She laughed and said "Dozo."

After I took a picture she came to the gate and unlocked it and invited me in to take a closer shot, and while I was fussing with the camera she started asking me questions in Japanese and English, finding out where I was from, my name and where I worked, how long was I in Japan, etc. I answered in as much Japanese as possible, and then English.

Turns out she invited me for tea. I felt that it was a bit quick to accept right away, so I said, certainly, I would love to come sometime. This led to exchange of phone numbers and then to her telling me that she teaches a class in making sushi, and invited me to the next class two and a half weeks from now.

Always something new and exciting here in Japan, all from admiration of some snow people.




1 comment:

Jaime Marie Pinckard said...

How wonderful! You'll have to tell me how the lesson goes!