Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Oh yes, I guess I did break them then

I went to my local Japanese doctor this morning. I needed new prescriptions for my regular medications and I needed to collect the results of recent tests. As part of the Japanese Health Care System people as old as me (actually anyone over 40) are invited to go to the Doctor once a year for some tests. Since I need to get blood tests every three months because of taking cholesterol lowering medication, I had the tests done this time under the annual invitation. I also had other statistics taken like height and weight, had an EKG and a chest x-ray. I can also have other tests done like an upper GI if I go to clinic with the needed equipment.

So as I said, I visited my Dr. He had all the reports in front of him and my chest x-ray on the usual lighted panel. The first thing he said was, "You had broken ribs." I looked at the x-ray and saw whiter, more solid looking areas on three ribs on the left side. I explained to the doctor that at the time I took the fall (June 2008) doctors couldn't say for sure that they were broken. Well, now they could I'm sure, but who cares?

Personally I feel vindicated because I knew that I really did hurt whether or not the reason could be proven at the time.

For those of you who know about my recent health concerns, the numbers are improving - Hallelujah!

2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh gosh, I have had the same issues with broken ribs. If it hurts to breathe or laugh who needs an x-ray? Glad things are looking up.

Georgia said...

The experience was tempered by a Workers Comp doctor who apparently got a bounty for any shirkers he could turn up :-/