Sunday, November 7, 2010

A definition of Shinto

A mini shrine being carried
in a culture day parade
"...though it's indefineable, Shinto is the essence of Japan and the Japanese,  and though it posesses neither theology nor Godhead nor faith nor system of ethics it is our justification for existence. Shinto is a nature cult of myths and legends in which no one believes wholeheartedly, yet everyone venerates totally. A person is Shinto in the same way he is born Japanese."
                            -  James Clavell Shogun

5 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Now, that's an interesting description of how it works.

Georgia said...

Sometimes I think the Japanese assume that "Westerners" feel the same way about Christianity.

Hannah Deacon said...

Hi Georgia, HISASHIBURI NE!? Someone lent me that book to read a while ago - is it any good?
Thanks

Georgia said...

Honto ni hisashiburi desu!

I do see your name every month on a report I get from HQ for which I am continually grateful, whether I get around to telling you or not.

I have read Shogun three times and as I have increasing familiarity with Japan at each read I understand and appreciate it more. It is long, as you have no doubt noticed!

Hannah Deacon said...

Ah thanks, I might give it a try then... In fact I'm looking for some holiday reading for later on in the week(!) so might give it a go. Cheers xx