Friday, February 6, 2009

Attitude Adjustment

This winter thing turns out to be not as bad as I anticipated. Walking home today just after noon it was snowing hard. I couldn't see to the end of the block and the wind was strong. I was glad to get home (it was a 25 minute walk) and kept thinking that I should have put my scarf on differently and the other gloves would have been better as I walked, but it was in no way life threatening or even totally miserable, it was just snow and when I got home I could have a nice hot lunch and it's Friday so tomorrow is a free day.
Actually, tomorrow my hosts at the Guest Home, have offered to take me with them to the Snow Festival, a must see event in this part of the world. I do need to study a bit, but my teacher at language school is fun and even though she says things like, 'memorize this," she laughs with me at my frequent missteps. Each day I want to do better, and remember more.
I'm sure Ichikawa will seem balmy when I return at the end of the month, and spring will be just around the corner, but my month in Sapporo will probably not be a nightmare to be forgotten; more like an opportunity to experience an even wider world and to learn even at my advanced age that occasional challenges to our comfort zones can be enjoyable.

No comments: