Saturday, February 25, 2012

Perseverence


It’s been relatively cold this winter in Tokyo.  It always seems cold to me I guess, but we have had a couple of months when the temperature hasn’t risen  much above 40° (F). It doesn’t get much below freezing either, but with wind and rain that can be a miserable temperature for a transplanted Floridian. And like Florida summers it sometimes seems to go on for a really unreasonable amount of time.
So, being basically an optimist, I am always on the lookout for change.  Today I was surprised by the sight of evidence that winter will end and spring will come. The plum tree is on the side of the building facing the alley and when I went to throw something into the trash, I saw two blossoms had opened, and many more are about ready to burst.

When I was researching kamon to put in my Japanese Memory Quilt I read somewhere that the plum blossom is a symbol of perseverance because it blooms when it is still winter. I liked that idea so much, I decided I would make block with a plum blossom kamon in the quilt.  It reminds me that I need to persevere; flower when it still seems to be winter, spring will surely come.

2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

The plum we planted to celebrate our first daughter's birth has bloomed on her birthday for the last 46 years. So far this year there is not a hint of color. The Japanese newspaper said the blooms were 15 days behind this year so five more to go... I am SO ready for spring!

Nancy J said...

Hi, I found your blog via Julie Fukuda, and will add you to my list. A lovely photo of the blossom, I always marvel at the way nature shows us the next season is coming closer. Here in NZ we have rain, gale winds, and winter approaching. Cheers from Jean.