Friday, February 10, 2012

The WC

This week at OMF JHQ we had 8 toilets replaced.  They were the ones installed at the beginning and over the years have proved to be very inefficient.  Being of American manufacture it was more trouble than most people wanted to go through to get new flappers when they wore out.  They were also an early experiment in using less water per flush. They obviously needed to continue with their research.  They were also deemed to be the cause of a couple really high water bills.

The Japanese are really on top of the heap when it comes to toilet technology.  Not just the hi-tech seats with the sometimes amusing, sometimes shocking functions, but the flushing mechanisms.  These new ones are fast and efficient and take the minimum of water. In fact, when you lift the lid of the tank there is no water visible, just mechanisms. 

The other thing I was reminded of was the way Japanese workmen work.  When the toilet in my bathroom was being replaced I stayed in my office.  When they were done, there was no mess, no water drips, no footprints or fingermarks.  It was as if a new toilet had just grown in the place of the old one. So, I put the bucket and the plunger away.

Not being a fan of "toilet humor" I'm having trouble coming up with a punch line for this piece.  I have seen one high end model here in Japan that has a motion sensor, and when you open the door to the toilet stall the  lid rises for your immediate accommodation. What will they think of next?

2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

And to think, when I arrived in Japan there were few flush toilets and most were squatsies. You can still find a few of those but I'm glad the times are a-changing! The automatic flush sounds I can do without.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.