Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Next to Last Quilting Class

Today was my regular Quilting Class. We don't have class in August because Sensei always takes a holiday, and so do many of her students.  This year however we are planning to meet at Sensei's summer home in Karuizawa on August 26.  This will be a day for relaxing at the onsen, shopping and eating together.  Emiko san has requested Taco Rice, so that will probably be what we have. This is also a "going away" commemoration for me. I hope to be able to go to one more regular class in September.
Attending this Quilting Class during this term in Japan has been a real learning experience. My classmates have learned lots of English. I have learned a lot of Japanese. I have learned much more about Japanese Culture than I can ever recount. Then there are the typical Japanese Housewife conversations. Today we even talked about the Japanese opposition to the stationing of Osprey aircraft at the airbase in Okinawa, and the rumour that Bill Gates has purchased a huge piece of property in Naka Karuizawa and is building a villa complete with helipad. Oh yes, we are also all sewing and quilting during this twice monthly 4 to 5 hour session.

I seem to have accidentally gotten a blue filter on the camera today.  (Japanese camera with Japanese instructions!)
Kawakoe san with the bag she finished today.  She really liked it and so did I!


Hayakawa san with her current project, also a bag.

Yamazaki san at the machine with Kuraishi sensei giving instruction.

Me enjoying our 2 pm "coffee and sweet."

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

I almost feel as if were there ... sitting beside my smiling friend.