Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Dutiful Daughter

I am a believer in consulting your elders when making large decisions in life.  I tried to remember to run things by my father when he was still living, and was sometimes surprised by his responses. Most often though I was struck by the fact that he had some respect for the person I was becoming.

I have a sweet young Japanese friend who recently shared with me that she was starting a relationship with a young man she worked with this summer.  In Japan it is pretty traditional to inform your parents of your plans when it involves something important.  Her father's response to the young man was "Unacceptable!" I was a little surprised at my friends reaction to her father.  She said, "He makes me laugh!"

This young couple has put their future in the hands of God. So even though it was proper to tell her father, I think she looks to a higher authority.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

Though I didn't comment when I read this post, I have thought about it a lot ever since.
Years ago I decided not to marry a man because his folks thought I was not good enough for him. I already had a set of critical parents and didn't think I needed another.
In 1962 I came to Japan determined that if Paul's parents were against it, I would not marry him. To my surprise and joy, I got the parents I had always wished for. It has been a standing joke that I married him for his mother.
I wish your friend joy in her decision too.