Sunday, October 17, 2010

Santa Doll Class

Yesterday I went to a special class held at my quilting teacher's house. She had a visiting American friend hold  three classes (one in Karuizawa and two in Ichikawa) making Santa Dolls. I'm not all that thrilled with Santa in general but figured I might learn something in the process, and always have an interesting time with these ladies from quilting.

The teacher, Mary Anne Eckert, from Boulder, Colorado, had really great kits made up for us so we were able to finish in the one day class. I usually think of dolls as something kids can play with, but this is actually one that is meant to sit somewhere as a Christmas decoration.

At lunchtime we all went into Sensei's dining room and managed to squeeze twelve people around the table. (I'm on one of the left hand corners.)

As always we had lots of food and good conversation. Several of the other students understand and/or speak some English. Sandwiches were accompanied by potato chips, pickles, tangerines, sweets with anco and macha flavored mochi, and chocolate croissant bread.

After lunch we went back to work and in no time an army of small Santas were assembled. We had the most fun, I think, with the beards. Mine is the one in front with the very long moustaches. Later I was able to curl them up a bit for a slightly different look.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the doll, but will treasure the time spent with Japanese friends in the craft classroom setting.

2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh, I wish I had known you would be there! Jo said she was going but I only heard on Friday afternoon. Not sure I would be able to find a spot for a doll that size in this rabbit hutch. Were it a little smaller it could hang on the tree.

Georgia said...

I go to most things at Yasuko's. This was a bit pricey, especially if you had no place to put it (I keep trying to think who to give it to). Jo invited me to Deecember IQC I'll have to see if I can change my schedule.