Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sobetsu Kai

Today was another "Good Bye Party" at church.  This week the Orr Family will go to Northern Ireland for a two year (at least) Home Assignment. They've gone home before of course, but this time when they return, they will not be assigned to The Chapel of Adoration in Ichikawa because this church now has a Japanese pastor and should not need missionary leadership. So, after 13 years of the Orrs being there, they won't be.

I met them in 1999 when I first came to Ichikawa and they were the pastors of our host church, the aforementioned Chapel. Some of us had a little trouble understanding Graham because of his accent and because he talked so very fast.  He either improved, or I learned to follow him over the years. The first time I met Alison was at a Thursday Prayer Meeting.  She came in and sat her young child (Daniel) down on the floor with a puzzle. My jaw dropped at the level of puzzle he was doing with ease.  I asked his age, and when told, I replied, "He shouldn't be able to do that."  Over this past year I have gotten to know Alison a lot better as we worked together in the Serve Japan program. When I have been in Japan, the Orrs have been my pastors.  So, as I am staying here a bit longer, I will be missing having a pastor here.  

And so it goes in Foreign Missions.  You learn that goodbyes are as sure as hellos.  I don't think you ever get to like them though. Today we looked at some old pictures, had speeches, sang some of the songs Graham wrote, laughed and cried together. On Wednesday they'll be on a plane for the UK and it is quite possible I will not see them again in this life.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

Yes, the fact that we say goodbyes so often, doesn't make them any easier.