Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rainy Season


 One nice thing about rainy season here is that it is also the time for hydrangea.  The picture above shows one like those I remember from my childhood. The other ones here to the right and below are only ones I would associate with Japan. It seems that botanists here are always busy developing new colors and shapes for the blooms loved by the Japanese people.
So despite the rain showers there are flowers to brighten our days.





 My dad occasionally changed the color of the blooms on the bushes around my childhood home.  It took at least a year and involved putting different chemicals at the roots of the plant.  The only thing I remember was iron, but I don't remember what color that made the bloom.









Today I sent out a newsletter by email.  If you got it, please remember to reply by one of the methods I listed at the end.  If you didn't get one, maybe I don't have your current email address.  If you'd like to receive a copy, please let me know!

Meantime, try to keep dry!

5 comments:

Susan said...

I L.O.V.E. hydrangeas. I guess I associate them with Sapporo since they were always blooming in the late summer. They are pretty here in Tokyo too. I read somewhere that the iron makes them more blue...hmmmm

Georgia said...

I thought it made them blue too, but didn't want to stick my neck out and say it - my childhood was a LONG time ago (*~*)

Wendy said...

They are gorgeous. I especially love the bluey purple ones. They look so stunning on an overcast sky.

Alison Orr said...

Could you send me your newsletter?
Thanks.

Georgia said...

On it's way!