Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Doncha just hate it...

when somebody starts a blog and then just lets it sit there, un-updated, for just ages. Yeah, I hate that too! But I can attest that it happens so easily, and on my part it wasn't intentional.

Here I am back again. Hoping that all of you readers are still with me. The picture at left is of a flower shop in Ichikawa, resplendent with cyclamen, orchids, and we spotted a few daffodils and tulips in the mix too.

I spotted the photo op on the way back from a free concert of the Ensemble Ichikawa Orchestra on the Emperor's birthday, which is a national holiday here. It was a family concert, so we heard "Peter and the Wolf" and some Disney movie themes along with "You Raise Me Up" and others.

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve and in addition to the year 2009, Thursday will be the first day of year 21 of the current Emperor's reign in Japan. Many documents are dated using the Emperor's year rather than the years since Christ's birth. Dates are normally written with the year first in Japan, then the month and the day. Working in a mission where many are from other places where they put the day then the month then the year, it's safer to write 30-Dec-08 which is what I try to remember to do.

8 comments:

bananatree said...

aha, yeah I should really update my blog too: I have one or two posts in mind. Maybe tomorrow, when i have the day off work to prepare for my NYE party I'm throwing (theme is 'London Underground')- the idea is people will have plenty of choice for fancy dress selection!

Talking of dates, blogger is obviously US based as the date here comes up Tue Dec 30 2008. Good to see you're back in Japan and blogging and things are going well! Happy new year x

Georgia said...

Good to know you're there BT. I never did figure out how to change the time signature, it wasn't even right when I was in Florida.

Happy, blessed New Year to you.

Jaime Marie Pinckard said...

Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu! So glad to hear from you, and I hope that 2009 brings you many opportunities to share Christ's love.

Did you hear the 108 chimes of the Buddhist temples?

Anonymous said...

Dear Jyojia aka George,
Here's a blast from the past-Peggy Leech Taylor-from Algonquin and Elkin @ IUP. Carol sent me your blog in her Christmas card. So...I decided to get in touch. I'm so impressed with what you are doing. Bless you! I'm teaching 2nd grade (10th yr.), been married 35 yrs., have 2 grown daughters, and became a grandmother Dec. 3-Gillian Paige!!! Happy New Year! Peggy

Georgia said...

Jaime Marie-we had a get together with OMFers in the area-a chance to have American pizza and Sloppy Joes. Near midnight we gathered round and sang some songs together and did the countdown to midnight. We were too busy greeting each other with hugs and Happy New Years to listen for the bells. I have heard it in past years though, and we romanticize it by calling them chimes or bells. More like a monotonous gong. Not very joyful, but then, that's not the purpose, is it? Shin Nen Omeditoo!

Georgia said...

Peggy! What a nice surprise! I knew Carol kept up with you. Hard to believe that we got to be the age we are already, isn't it? Glad to hear about your grandbaby. Hope they live close enough for you to spoil her rotten. I would greatly enjoy hearing from you when you have time. Carol has my email as well. When we were at IUP, Japan was just a place I'd heard about. Now my times here are the happiest of my life. All God's best to you this new year.

Anonymous said...

Joyjia,nice to hear back from you. I'd never responded to a blog, thus the reason I'm anonymous. I can't figure out what other profile to choose. Anyway, I've had a Japanese penpal since I was 12. She lives in Urayasu City in Chiba; and I have another friend in Takarazuka City in Hyogo. My daughter, husband and grandbaby live 7 miles away--yeah!!! I babysat yesterday-what a joy she is. I still get together with Linda (Jack) Jackson, Georgia
Washes, Cindy Simcox, Winnie Brown, and Bev Logan from Elkin. Bev's roomie, Carol Leggett, passed away several years ago--cancer. When I get your e-mail address, I'll send you some pics. Take care. Love, Peggy

Georgia said...

Peggy, What a small world it really is. Urayasu is not that far from here. One of my co-workers goes to church there and in warmer weather cycles sometimes. Was in a friend's apartment there one time on about the 10th floor and watched the fireworks from Disneyland. Looking forward to pictures. J (G)