Sunday, March 15, 2009

Moved

I've been living at my new apartment for a week now. I have pretty much everything I need plus some extras by the generosity of friends. I never see my neighbors and rarely hear them.
The 15 minute walk to the office doesn't seem like much at all, and with the weather improving, as you should be able to see in the box running under the slideshow, we're supposed to get into the 60s this week.

Our OMF Language Advisor is arranging for my continuing Japanese lessons, and the teacher is willing to come to the office or to my apartment for the lessons.

Yesterday I was a guest at a meeting of the Ichikawa International Exchange Association in Yawata. It was what they call a "Speak Up" session where everyone was encouraged to speak in English. My job was to provide the catylist for them to speak. We had a good time and they've asked if I will return sometime. I was amused, after an hour and a half of conversation with these folks whose English is good, at 3 o'clock when the meeting was over everyone immediately switched back to Japanese!

1 comment:

Jaime Marie Pinckard said...

Georgia, I'm so glad to hear that your move had gone so smoothly! Congratulations on being able to continue learning Japanese; it's so wonderful that your teacher inspired and encouraged you to keep on studying. I would have loved to hear how you catalyzed the discussion.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your tea parties, and how that you are doing well. Thank you so much for taking the time to write these blogs; they are a huge blessing to me.

With love,

Jaime Marie