Saturday, April 2, 2011

Free Discussion

Sometimes on a Saturday morning my friends at the Ichikawa Volunteer Interpreter Society (IVIS) ask me to moderate a two hour session called "Free Discussion". The participants are Japanese and the session is conducted in English. My job is to set the topic and make sure everyone has a chance to speak. Today the planned Cherry Blossom Viewing Picnic was canceled and we had free discussion instead. Springboarding from recent events in Japan I asked them to tell me something they learned or something they planned to do as a result of Japan's triple disaster. There were around 16 people there this morning so I learned a lot. Oh, did I mention that I usually learn as much or than anyone?

1. A reason for not having Cherry Blossom Viewing Parties this year is that people in Tohoku would see it  in the media and feel really bad.

2. One woman said several times that everyone she knows is depressed.

3. The Japanese Self Defence Force helicopters can't land anywhere that isn't authorized for their use, but American Forces could land anywhere they deemed safe and convenient.

4. One member had been on a plane flying to Osaka on 3/11, and was surprised when he finally found there had been an earthquake that they hadn't had ant kind of turbulence.

5. Part of the training for earthquake preparedness is figuring out the best route from your workplace to your home on foot which helped explain why so many people chose to walk when the trains weren't running.

6. If Japan can build a robot that can play the violin why did they have to borrow a remote control bulldozer from France.

7. Saving power is relatively easy now, but no one is looking forward to Tokyo summer without air conditioning.

I was able to tell this group how much I admire the Japanese People. It was a good session, and truth be told, the cherry trees won't really be at their best till later in the week.

No comments: