Monday, April 11, 2011

Lots of things happened since my last post

You've probably heard we've had another quake. It felt pretty strong, but not enough to get under the table. There have been numerous aftershocks. I'm fine, but my nerves are a bit frazzled.

Earlier today I met my friends from my quilting class and a couple of other classes. There were 8 of us counting sensei. We had lunch together at a sushi restaurant on the pedestrian street that leads to Mama zan, Ichikawa's high point. After lunch we walked a couple blocks to sensei's favorite coffee shop; some had coffee, some had coffee and cake, one had macha with milk.

Thus fortified we climbed the ancient stone steps up to the combination shrine and temple grounds to the famous weeping cherry tree and a lot of other cherry trees, and the big cemetery. I realized today that there's a big preschool there as well - great view of the cemetery from it's grounds.

The cherry blossoms were glorious. Tree after tree, avenues with cherry trees forming a tunnel of delicate pink. A single huge tree in a barren school yard with girls in blue track suits learning to twirl batons under it's boughs.

From Mama we walked to Satomi Koen - more cherry blossoms. I'd be showing you my pictures but yesterday I ran out of storage space on Picasa and couldn't upload them. I don't have my new credit card yet, so I couldn't buy more space. I tried to get Shutterfly to work, but failed.

For our snack this afternoon, we went to a very tall building on the campus of the Konodai Girl's High School to the cafeteria on the 18th floor. There are fantastic views from up there. We had Cream Anmitsu - a traditional Japanese dessert. I'd describe it but it would take a whole lot of explaination that I'm honestly not up to at the moment. Near the close of a school day the cafeteria might be expected to be a bit of a mess, but this one was neat and clean. A large group of girls left an area near us and in their wake the tables were clean, and the furniture was neatly in place. You've gotta love Japan at times like that.

The skies clouded up and we headed for the bus back to Ichikawa station. I walked back from there and was just unwinding a bit when the earthquake hit, shortly after that it started to rain, and I'm ready to go to bed.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

Like you, I find my nerves getting more and more on edge with each quake. The chandelier swung for several minutes so it seemed to go on forever and just as the poor dog stopped trembling from the quake, the thunder rolled in and she was back under my knees.
Yesterday I worked at the pre-K and we took the kids for lunch under the cherry trees. It was lovely. I wish I'd taken my camera.