Sunday, September 2, 2012

Goodbye and goodbye again!

 

Saying goodbye in Japan is sometimes a long process.  I will leave here on September 25, but the first special goodbye event for me was held last Sunday. My quilting teacher and her husband invited some people to gather at their summer house in Karuizawa where we had a lunch together which included my version of Taco Rice among other things including a cake (always a good idea to my way of thinking!)





I was given the center seat at the table and was asked to say a few words about going home and future plans before we ate.

Yesterday I was asked to the regular monthly meeting of IVIS (Ichikawa Volunteer Interpreter's Society) where I have often encouraged their English speaking ability and shared views and ideas.  This time they were given free reign to ask me "anything!" The questions ranged from what my plans were to what do the initials O. M. F. stand for to who I'll vote for in November's election. This was followed by a "pot luck lunch."  Foods ranged from pizza to sushi to potato salad to nashi. It was a nice thing to do.  Some of these folks have known me since 1999 when I first came to Japan and some I met for the first time yesterday.  Many are convinced I will be back.

2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

When you go, you will take little pieces of each of our hearts with you. We can't help hoping you will return. Don't they say "the third time's a charm"?

Georgia said...

Acually it would be my fifth time so it's probably that much more or less charming ;-)