Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ichi, Ni, San, Shi...

With five days left and Hitoshi, OMF Japan's General Affairs Manager, available to assist me, we went to the bank to close out my accounts.  I have the graphic above of the number 5 and the strokes in order as well as the readings.  Part of the reason I need someone with me when doing bank stuff is that there is one part where I have to write a string of kanji on the form.  I never have occasion to write this unless it's for the bank so I don't get much practice. I have to actually write it myself, so my able assistant clearly writes each kanji for me on a scrap paper larger than usual, but easy for me to see where the lines are to go. I always apologise to my assistant for doing the strokes out of order.  They assure me that it doesn't matter, but you can see them wince if you watch out the corner of your eye as you struggle. Today I didn't drag it out any longer than I had to, so we got done fairly quickly.  Much better than opening the account.

Today was also the day the post office came and picked up the four boxes I am sending by surface mail.  This is the cheapest method but takes the longest - two months.  Of course in the States the Post Office doesn't provide any service like this, either picking up at the house or sending by surface mail.  It will be interesting to see how long Japan Post does.

The rest of my day was spent doing things at the Guest Home as the Abts are in Yokohama providing child care for one of our couples. It's really difficult to pay attention to the needs of the Guest Home when my mind has so many other things to dwell on these last five days.  Today I didn't have any invitations to meals out and it has been a relief.  I had my apple and oatmeal for breakfast and a salad for lunch. Eggs for dinner?

No comments: