Sunday, November 30, 2008

Back from Homosassa

Had a lovely Thanksgiving Day and following at my sister and brother-in-law's home. Lots of good food and good friends to share it with. Even made a farewell visit to Howard's Flea Market. Paul's walking pretty well now and only has another six weeks or so to wear the brace.

Came back home this morning and Cathy and Paul followed shortly so they could pick up some things I needed them to keep for me while I'm away. I've been doing laundry since then and setting up Skype and rearranging files on my computer. Lots of dusting and putting away yet to do.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, tomorrow is my commissioning at Living Word and after the evening service (6 pm) there will be a sending off social at the church. Everyone's welcome but I understand that those of my friends who live at a distance will not be able to make it. (Like you, Jurg, in Switzerland.)

I can't bear to count the days left till I leave. It's coming so quick.

2 comments:

Kbach said...

I spent the day after Thanksgiving in Homosassa! I almost stopped at the flea market as well! I know you must be so excited to get going.

I have to say that this Thanksgving was a really great one. My parents were here and we went really low key on dinner and just focused on us. We had skip bo tournaments and chutes and ladders play offs. That's what memories are made of...not huge turkeys or perfectly decorated tables. You made mention of the adjustment involved in going back to Japan and it made me think of what a blessing it can be to be stripped of our hyped up "traditions." In fact in speaking with a relative today, we discussed that the current economic situation might be a blessing to many that have to let go of the trickets and really focus on what life is meant to be.

I am thankful for many things this year (just waking up in a warm bed and not being shot at on a regular basis puts me ahead of most in this world) and one thing is that I get to follow your journey and relive Japan.

Kimberly

Georgia said...

Wouldn't that have been a hoot if we had bumped into each other at Howard's?

Amen to your sentiments on shedding the trappings of modern life and getting back to basics.

I'm glad to have you come along with me, back to Japan!