Wednesday, March 30, 2011

4 Bears for Maiko chan

My latest quilt project is finally finished! It's a baby quilt for little Maiko, the baby of friends of mine. Of course this took longer than I anticipated. Maiko chan will soon be 9 months old. Story of my sewing life - better late than never - usually.  Maiko actually attended the Quilt exhibition I participated in last July. Her mother was delivered of her two days later.

The pattern is "Bear Paw" and it is set in the traditional manner with four blocks set with each "paw" pointing to one of the four corners. So, four paws make a bear, and there are four sets = four bears. Hopefully I'll have a picture of Maiko at the weekend to post for you. Watch this space.

I learned some things doing this quilt. It's paper pieced, which is the technique I wanted to practice. I used the same colors in each block for the paws themselves, the other triangles were scraps and other than trying for not putting light next to light etc. I was going for random placement. Also in the larger squares - some had roses in them others didn't and instead of deliberate placement, I let them fall at will.  It would have been better if I had been a bit more deliberate. The corners were an intriguing idea from sensei. I found turning the corners on the binding was just difficult and I didn't figure out the best solution till I was almost finished - turn the corner twice instead of trying to do it all in one turn.

3 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Great finish. I'm sure Maiko-chaan will treasure it always. My mother gave each grandchild a quilt for their second birthday. They still treasure those quilts today. Now I need to get inspired to finish up my bear paw quilt. That border seems to go on forever!

Unknown said...

Gambatte!

Jaime Marie Pinckard said...

Awww... That's so sweet of you, Georgia! It's beautiful!