Friday, March 18, 2011

A New Normal

So many major and minor adjustments in the past week are gradually adding up to a new way of coping with my world in Japan.

Since the power outages have become fairly standard at once a day, first I find out what time the day's outage will be and start planning from there. I think it's brilliant that tomorrow's schedule says Group 2's slot is 6:20 to 10:00 am so since it's Saturday I guess I might as well stay in bed till I can turn the heat on. Of course if the sun shines tomorrow morning that will heat the place up and I can have another session sitting with the sun coming though the window on my feet while I do some hand sewing mixed with some reading and thinking and praying. As soon as the power is restored I need to start a batch of bread in the bread maker and a load of laundry. After that the schedule is open.

I was able to get coffee filters at the store today. I also went to the bank for some cash and to the Dr.'s office to get prescriptions for my regular meds. I got my carry on bag down from the top shelf and started putting in some things for "just in case". At the Guest home I cleaned and made up two rooms to be ready for guests on the weekend.

Our message from the Crisis Management Team contained the following, reiterating the reasons for the decision not to call for members to evacuate:

· The Japanese government is not seeing the need to evacuate people beyond the 30 km radius around the nuclear reactor plant.


· The British and American Embassies have sent a number of bulletins but while recommending that people consider moving they have not ordered citizens in the regions to leave.


· We want to stand together with the Japanese at this crucial time.

Later in the day our Field director let us know that in the event we need to move away from the Tokyo area, another mission with facilities near Osaka has offered OMF a place for 40+ people to stay.

I got several messages today from friends asking for an update here in Jyojia's Japan Journal. Honestly I had no idea some of you were following. I have a visit counter installed, but without comments I really haven't a clue who is reading. Please consider leaving a short comment from time to time; it really makes  it easier for me to write.

3 comments:

Terry said...

Hi Georgia,
I'm so glad you sent me an email with your blog address. I am desperate for REAL news from Japan as I consider it my second-home (we lived at Misawa AB from 90-94 and Yokota AB from 96-99). Remember me from Living Word Church? My husband was active duty Air Force, and we PSC'd to Hawaii in 2005. Then he retired and we're back in Tampa. We live in Riverview now so I have a new church, but I often wonder how you are. I cannot even imagine what everyone there is going through. I feel useless and wish there was something I could do to help those I know there. Know that at least my prayers are with you and my other friends there. God Bless!
Terry Dover

Georgia said...

Of course I remember - Runfaster. There are a couple of blogs I'm following that are great for info "on the ground" http://elliotexpress.blogspot.com/
http://march2011japanearthquaketsunami.blogspot.com/

Jaime Marie Pinckard said...

Thanks for the updates, Georgia... It really helps to know how daily life is going there in Tokyo. The news here seems like it's inciting hysteria about the nuclear reactor and fallout. I know the situation is very serious, but the way they portray is that no one is living "normally" in Japan. It is very relieving to know that you are faring well.

Praying for you.

With Love,

Jaime Marie